Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Roger Federer clings to top spot

ROGER FEDERER waited until the last moment to start the rescue of his No1 ranking, overcoming Robby Ginepri 6-7 (2-7) 7-6 (7-5) 6-0 yesterday at the ATP Cincinnati Masters in Ohio.
The second-round drama in 2hr 13min showed the Swiss just how tough it will be to hold off the field as he tries to extend his 235 weeks on top of the rankings.
If Federer goes out in his title defence before the semi-finals and Spaniard Rafael Nadal wins the event - it would be his eighth of the season - the top ranking changes hands.
"I do enjoy the challenge that I'm the No1 in the world," Federer said. "I'd rather it be me than rather it be him. I'm on a great run with my ranking. If I would lose it I would want it back."
Australian Chris Guccione won his first ATP-level match since early last month, ending four losses as he beat Jesse Levine 6-3 6-4.
Andy Roddick, the 2003 champion, fell victim to the shoulder injury which he picked up in May, coming on to the court to announce that he could not play against German Philipp Kohlschreiber.
"I woke up with shoulder and neck pain," Roddick, the sixth seed, said. "I can hardly look from side to side. I wanted to come and give it a go. But I knew I wouldn't be able to finish so I wanted to give someone else the chance to play."

No comments: