Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Djokovic moves through after hiccup

LONDON - Third seed Novak Djokovic moved safely through to the second round of Wimbledon on Monday, beating German journeyman Michael Berrer 7-5 2-6 6-3 6-0.
The Serb edged a tight first set, breaking the Berrer serve at 6-5 only to lose five games in a row in the second set as Berrer briefly threatened a first-day shock.
Australian Open winner Djokovic, seeded to play five-times champion Roger Federer in the semi-finals this year, quickly regained control with some classy tennis.
After taking the third set with a single break of serve he swept through the fourth in style against his flagging opponent to set up an eyecatching second round with former world number one Marat Safin.
"I had ups and downs throughout the match, but I managed to get in control of the match towards the end," the 21-year-old self-confessed perfectionist told reporters. "Especially in the fourth set, I was happy with my performance."
Djokovic's last outing on grass was a final of extraordinary quality against world number two Rafael Nadal at Queen's Club in the run-up to Wimbledon.
World number 91 Berrer provided a different sort of test and while his play never approached the levels he managed in losing to Nadal, Djokovic said he was generally pleased with his start and felt he could go a long way in the tournament.
"I'm a perfectionist, so I want everything to be 100 percent," he said. "Of course, that's not possible. Sometimes I just lose my focus and I get frustrated. That second set was not a good picture of my game.
"I was trying to get used to the conditions. It's quite different if you are one of the first players to get on the Centre Court and feel the grass.
"The first couple of rounds you just need to get used to the conditions and go step by step. I feel like I can go a long way but, still, you need to take it slowly."
Djokovic reached the semi-finals at Wimbledon last year when he retired with blisters against Nadal and despite winning this year's Australian Open says that the Spaniard and Federer are still in a league of their own.
"They've been very dominant in the last four or five years," he said. "Mentally they are two of the strongest players in the world, the two best players in the world.
"I'm one of the players behind who are trying to keep up."

No comments: